Saturday, January 25, 2014

DIY Coffee Table

So I know some of you are wondering where I have been all week.  And then there are some of you that probably didn't even realize I have been MIA.  :)


Well, I have been tired. And when I say tired I mean exhausted.  So exhausted I started to go to that crazy place in my mind.  Things started to shut down and quit and I felt like I was on drugs of some sort.  So exhausted I stopped doing push ups at bootcamp to lay in a dirty parking spot of the San Luis Resort because I could not lift myself again.  So exhausted that when I woke up to BLittle sending a work email on his phone from bed at 4am I had thoughts of smothering him with his pillow.



For the last 3 weeks, I have been struggling with sleep.  This is something I don't usually have a problem with.  I love sleep and I have to have 7-9 hours of good sleep to function.  After several weeks of bad sleep and going to the ranch this weekend and waking up 5 to 6 times a night, my body started to shut down.  I have been in a bit of a daze the past week.


I am finally starting to get better sleep and I have more energy to be productive.  This project took a little longer than I wanted but it is done and I love it.


Here is our coffee table before.





At first I thought I would just refinish this one but there were too many things I didn't like.  It was super heavy, I hate the bottom shelf (it tends to be a junk collector), and I wanted a stained not painted coffee table.  This one had a few too many veneer issues to re stain.


So, I decided to build one.  True story.  Again.


Yes, last week I built a dining room table (read about it here and here) and this week a coffee table.  Apparently, I am on a roll, in a groove, whatever.


I wanted to make a coffee table that was a little longer than the one we had and didn't have the bottom shelf.  Also I wanted clean, simple lines.  Our previous coffee table was one of the only new pieces we bought for our NOLA home.  Blittle was insistent that we have a coffee table that lifts so I bought one.  I wanted this new table to have this feature too.


I took the lift mechanism out of the old table and used it for the new one.






This is what the finished product looks like.  I think I am going to put another coat of stain on it to darken it up a bit and cover up the yellow still showing through.  I haven't decided yet.  I'll keep y'all posted on that.







The old coffee table will be refinished and available for purchase.  It is a great table, it just wasn't working for us.

Have a great Saturday!  I am working today since I decided to take a snow day without snow yesterday.  :)  There is a great project being delivered today and I can't wait to show y'all!  It's going to be a great makeover.

 photo Signature_zps5473e161.png
 photo googleplustitanium_zps7c045137.png  photo rsstitanium_zps86d5562c.png  photo emailtitanium_zpsf8419ff0.png

Sharing at:



52 Mantels, Thursday S.T.Y.L.E, Catch as Catch Can, Redoux Link Party

No comments:

Post a Comment