Saturday, September 7, 2013

DIY Floor Cleaner

Hi all!

I hope everyone had a great week.  I don't have much to talk about today so this post is short and sweet.

Things in the kitchen are going well but have slowed down.  The countertops are installed and have to be "waterproofed" now (more on that later).  I have to put many coats of several products on every 24 hours then after the last coat it needs 7 days to cure.  SLOW.  A 24 hours dry time is almost painful to me at this point.  We are so close!  Until the countertops are done, I can't do the backsplash...hopefully next weekend will be the start of that adventure.

I have painted the office, put in it's new ceiling fan, worked on our dining room table,  and worked on another dresser (this one for me) this week!  Very productive!

Just so I didn't post for a whole week again, I want to share with your  a great floor cleaner I came across on Pinterest.  We put laminate floors in our first home and I hated that I could always see my mop marks on the floor after I cleaned it.  I would have to dry the floor with a towel to get a streak free look.  So after we had our vinyl planks put in the new house, I was a little worried about mopping them.  I found a DIY floor cleaner recipe on Pinterest and I LOVE it.

1 Cup White Vinegar
1 Cup 70% Rubbing Alcohol
1 Cup Water
Several Drops of your favorite dish soap  (I use Dawn)

This can be modified, of course, but its mostly about equal parts of each then some soap.  It works great! The alcohol makes the moisture evaporate quickly so no streaks and no staying off the floor for a long time to let it dry.  You can put it in a spray bottle or I found this guy at Target.


Its the Rubbermaid Reveal Spray Mop.  You can put whatever kind of cleaner you want in the bottle and it sprays from the mop (like a Swiffer).  The pads can be put in the laundry and you can buy several extras!  Love this.  It is easy to store and the pads have held up well in the wash.

Just a side note:  I saw one lady post that it smells "yucky" on Pinterest but I don't agree.  When you first use it, there is a vinegary smell but it fades quickly and the floors will look clean and the room will smell clean.  If you think the vinegar smell is too much, put  a little less in your mixture.  

Happy weekend everybody!  

No comments:

Post a Comment