Monday, April 8, 2013

Velcro Pictures–Quick Picture Hanging!

I know I’m not the only one who has this idealistic vision of a perfectly decorated home … with millions of beautiful snapshots all over the house and up the stairway and on every side table. I mean, really … is there such a thing as too many pictures of your children?!

No, people. The answer is emphatically … NO!

I’ve had this project on my list for years. Truly. Years. And I’ve put it off, thinking it was way more expensive than it actually was.

Over Spring Break, I got a wild hair and went to IKEA … and spent $100 (give or take) and bought 75 picture frames. In the hope of achieving that perfect staircase photo wall …

use velcro to hang pictures on stairway 1

Now. I’m not a photographer. And I’m not a designer. I’m really not … try not to act shocked.

But, I do have a bunch of snapshot pictures that I just love  … you know the ones: the messy highchair pictures, the ‘here, take our picture for us’ vacation pictures, the baby pictures … you know the ones.

So, I uploaded all of them to Costco. Something ridiculous like 300 pictures. But, Costco only charges like $.12 a photo … so I went crazy. Then I narrowed down my favorites to my most favorites. Then I got to work, filling each frame. And then. THEN I pulled out my second most favorite household item, save only RustOleum oil rubbed bronze spray paint:

use velcro to hang pictures on stairway 7
Heavy. Duty. Industrial. Strength. Velcro. Pretty much my second favorite BFF.

And I had Superman help me cut it into a billion little strips. And then I put the strips on the back of each frame, like this:

use velcro to hang pictures on stairway 6

The smaller frames only need 2 strips of Velcro. The bigger ones need four.

And then I removed the plastic backing from the Velcro and placed my large frames at every third stair (using a level … but just stuck it up on the wall … NO NAILS!!!). And then I put a medium frame in between each of those (all in alternating orientations). Like this:

use velcro to hang pictures on stairway 5

And then, I filled in the spaces in between all of them, with the small frames. Like this:

use velcro to hang pictures on stairway 4

And I had enough frames to go around the corner … still need to buy more to finish the back side of the staircase.

use velcro to hang pictures on stairway 3

And … can I tell you how much I LOVE going up and down my stairs now? Love. Like, to the moon and back kind of love.

I’m not a scrap booker, but I do take tons of pictures that never see the light of day. I’m trying to change that. Y’all run to IKEA and grab some inexpensive frames. Best money spent.

** I went with dark frames because we are planning to replace our carpet with dark wood floors in June … but I think there were white frames at IKEA too. I think. **

No comments:

Post a Comment