Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Gardening for Dummies Part 1: Laying Out Your Garden

Okay.

So. If you know me, personally, then you know that I consider it a great success that I’ve kept my children alive as long as I have. I caved last year and let my three favorite people in the whole wide world get a puppy. And I was so scared. Because, dude. I kill EVERYTHING. (Both children and puppy are STILL alive … I’m amazed, myself)

Enter Superman.

Homeboy EARNS that nickname. Big time.

You saw the tutorial on how to build your garden box, right? … here’s a little follow up (with pictures I took 3 weeks ago … these are now quite a bit bigger).

Behold! A garden! In my backyard! WITH green stuff growing!!

square foot gardening how to garden in a raised garden bed4

Believe me. No one is more shocked that I am. Promise.

square foot gardening how to garden in a raised garden bed5

Alrighty. Let’s start on the left and work our way to the right … this is America, after all. (Please excuse our ghetto ‘trellises’ … they’re made from scrap wood … try not to fall over dead from that surprise)

square foot gardening how to garden in a raised garden bed10

First, we have the cutest little peas I’ve ever seen in my entire life! Since this picture was taken, they’ve figured out how to grow up the lines … they’re now occupying the third line of string. Such strong little fighters, living in my backyard!

square foot gardening how to garden in a raised garden bed9

Next, we’ve got some beans … green beans … climbing up their lines just to the right. They’re so flipping cute, I just want to pinch their cheeks! I can’t stand it.

square foot gardening how to garden in a raised garden bed11square foot gardening how to garden in a raised garden bed12square foot gardening how to garden in a raised garden bed13

And then, in the corner between the peas and beans … we have pumpkins and watermelons. Which, my kids can hardly wait to watch grow!

square foot gardening how to garden in a raised garden bed14square foot gardening how to garden in a raised garden bed15

On the other side of the beans, we are sporting some adorable squash and zucchini plants.

square foot gardening how to garden in a raised garden bed8

And then there’s the radishes … y’all. There are no words for how cute these are. From planting until picking, it’s like 28 days, or something crazy like that. So. These babies will be getting picked in the next day or two. I’ll keep you posted. Can’t wait to take more recent pictures. You’ll be shocked at how big my babies are getting! ;)

square foot gardening how to garden in a raised garden bed7

These are carrots, people! Aren’t those the cutest flipping carrots you’ve ever seen?! ;) (I’m totally joking, in case you don’t ‘know’ me yet … I’m not insane … that I know of)

square foot gardening how to garden in a raised garden bed3

Then there are three different kinds of tomatoes …

square foot gardening how to garden in a raised garden bed2

… jalapenos  (this is TEXAS, y’all … there is lots of salsa in this garden’s future) ...

square foot gardening how to garden in a raised garden bed 1

… and then, my friends … there are the milk man’s babies. I cannot figure out what these ones are. Superman planted this thing … and he’s on shift. I’m sure he’ll text me soon and let me know. Cause, that’s how we roll.

square foot gardening how to garden in a raised garden bed6

Anyway. That’s it … there’s our sweet little garden. I’ll keep you posted … cause … nothing is more fun than watching someone else’s garden grow. ;)

Please enjoy the ghetto not-yet-mowed-this-season grass. Just keepin’ it real, people.

Hope y’all are well!

No comments:

Post a Comment